MMSD College Bound - Get ready, get set, go to college
Every year, helping students and their families complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA, is a vital step to ensure that postsecondary education is financially accessible in our community. This year, though, will be different. In response to legislation enacted by the US Congress, the FAFSA is getting its first major overhaul in 40 years with the intent of streamlining the application process and making it easier for more students to complete it.
- The 2024-25 “Better FAFSA,” as it has been branded by the Office of Federal Student Aid (FSA). The Better FAFSA is set for a delayed launch in December 2023 instead of October 1. FSA has not yet announced an exact date.
- The FAFSA opening date will revert to October 1 in 2024.
- What will this mean for your FAFSA completion efforts this fall? https://tinyurl.com/ydrun36k
Create your FSA ID NOW! Be ready for the #BetterFAFSA opening in December 2023
- What is an FSA ID? Your FSA ID is your username and password that allows you to access and electronically sign your FAFSA. The FSA ID is tied to your Social Security Number, so it can take a few days to be verified.
- Why do you need an FSA ID? Creating an FSA ID is the first step in completing the FAFSA process. Students will not be able to complete their FAFSA until they, and any guardians providing FAFSA information have created their FSA ID.
- Who should create an FSA ID? Anyone contributing information to your FAFSA form will need an FSA ID. This includes you, and likely your parent(s)/guardian(s)
- How do you create an FSA ID? Create an account at studentaid.gov
- What do you need to create an FSA ID?
- Email address *not your MMSD email
- Social Security Number
- Ideally, your parent(s)/guardian(s)
- Email address
- Social Security Number (if applicable - if your guardian does not have an SSN you should STILL attend)
- When should you create your FSA ID? The time is now! Create your FSA ID before the #BetterFAFSA opens in December 2023!
FSA ID Creation Events:
Wednesday’s in October!
- October 4th, 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m → 2001 Taft Street (Boys & Girls Club)
- October 4th, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. → La Follette High School
- October 11th, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. → Vel Phillips Memorial High School
- October 18th, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. → Warner Park Community Center
- October 25th, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. → Goodman Community Center
PLUS one Saturday!
- October 21st, 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. → 2001 Taft Street (Boys & Girls Club)
Register here: FSA ID Creation Events